PRS Momentum Music Fund Artists

PRS Foundation released a longlist of artists featured on their Momentum Music Fund this week and I've seen quite a few familiar names mixed with good amount of artists I've either never heard of or have been meaning to check out for some time now. After reading the list and curating a playlist (below) I had mind full of new music and new opinions.

BLUE LAB BEATS
After seeing Blue Lab Beats support Tank and the Bangas last year I have been hoping and praying that I'd see more from them this year. Sure enough they've been heavily on the London Jazz scene this year, working recently with Love Music Hate Racism and even spotted at Steam Down in Deptford. Now I have no doubts their smooth and soulful sound will feature heavily in 2019.

CASEY
I'm not entirely sure what sound I was expecting from Casey but I was pleasantly surprised when I listened in and found that they were Hardcore. Listening to their song "Hell" instrumentally reminded me a little bit of Can't Swim - another band that I've had high hopes for over the past few years. Already on their sophomore album and well in the sights of the likes of Kerrang and Rocksound, the only way is up.

CATCHING FLIES
My introduction to Catching Flies came in 2014 when he supported Bonobo on his The North Borders tour and I'm just as impressed with him now as I was back then. I am a little bit surprised that he's being branded as gaining 'momentum' only now but after listening to his more recent work I can see why. His new music is a cut above and couldn't be more perfectly timed with the sound that's dominating the underground mainstream at the moment.

CATHOLIC ACTION
I am surprised that a band like Catholic Action made this list. Not doubting their talent, more looking towards the relevance of their sound. Harking back to bands like Palma Violets and The Smiths, they have a classic guitar Rock band sound that whilst enjoyable, hasn't seemed to be gaining much momentum this past year in particular. It will be interesting watch their trajectory over the next few months.

CROWS
Crows' "The Itch" is the song that cemented my confidence in them as both a live band and on record. Their heavy-hitting, boot-stomping instrumentals will translate well from stadium to festival field and I have no doubt that they'll be given the opportunity to grace both in the not-too-distant future. Similarly to Catholic Action I think a sound like theirs may have fared better in 2013 but their classic songs may just carry them to a very willing audience be it now or in 2020.

DAN BETTRIDGE
Dan's debut album Asking For Trouble comes on the back of a few different EPs and Singles and showcases some of his best songwriting to date. Similar to a Ben Howard, Luke Sital-Singh or even Nick Mulvey, his voice will be more than welcome with followers in any of their camps. Although, not too much sets him apart from these artists and despite their seemingly dormant activity of late, he will have to put out something a little bit more unique to give him the following he deserves.

ETTA BOND
This was a Shazam find for me, sitting in a cafe in East London bopping my head to "Kiss My Girlfriend" so much I almost didn't catch the Shazam. I'd seen Etta's name around a few times before that but since her feature on Ghostpoet's Shedding Skin I hadn't looked much more into it. Safe to say I feel a fool because it should not take more than one prompt to realise the unique tone in her voice. We'll be hearing a lot more from her in the coming months, from both features to solo material.

FALSE ADVERTISING
I was particularly excited to see this feature on the list. After very luckily and randomly discovering False Advertising in 2015 I've had high hopes for them since. I was particular excited to see how they'd fare on a live show and have unfortunately not had the chance to see them yet. Seeing them featured here, I'm sure it won't be long before I get to watch them bring down the house live.




FLAVA D
I must admit, the name Flava D didn't inspire much confidence in me. However, as they say, don't judge a book by it's cover. After listening, I maintain that Flava D wouldn't have been my first choice, but despite that I can see the appeal. On a night out or at a rave, Flava D on the decks would be more than welcome to lift most crowd's vibe. The influences of Garage and Grime are clear and the heavy basslines mesh well to form a sound that will set her apart from many right now.

GAMBIMI
With Afrobeats and old school RnB sounds making a swift resurgence in today's Pop mainstream, there's no better time for Gambimi to step onto the scene. His latest release "Good Vibes" would be welcome on most radio stations' A-list today with that summer-y, dance-able sound. Whilst his rising star may have a time limit on it, it's rising nonetheless.

MAEVE
I was pretty excited about this discovery. I hadn't heard of Maeve before this list came out and she's only got three songs available on Spotify at the moment but her EP Beasts is one of the most memorable things that I've heard this month. Vocals akin to Lorde with synth-rock instrumentals melding between them - this equation should add up to make something special on a live stage too.

NUBYA GARCIA
I discovered Nubya Garcia early on this year on one of my Spotify Daily Mixes. At first I assumed that she was a producer - similar to Bonobo but with Jazz - it wasn't until I did more research that I discovered that she was in fact first and foremost, a saxophonist, and a damn good one at that. Seeing her perform since with members of Ezra Collective, cats down at Steam Down, or with Joe Armon Jones, it's become easier and easier to spot her touch on a track. I'm expecting new music in 2019 for sure - watch this space.

OSCAR JEROME
A slightly later discovery for me - whilst watching Nubya Garcia perform at Fatima's show in Summer, Oscar also graced the stage showing off his skills on the guitar and his timid, soulful vocals. I'd made a note to look into his music later but I almost didn't need the reminder because after that he was everywhere, playing with Lianne La Havas, playing at Steam Down, recommended to me through friends and social media. Oscar's star is rising very quickly and his talent is undeniably astounding.

QUEEN ZEE
The first time I saw the name Queen Zee was on the bill for Dream Wife's current EU/UK Tour. Dream Wife being easily one of my favourite new discoveries of the entire year, scored them some points in my mind, so to now see Queen Zee on the list for PRS - I knew that there had to be something about them. "Sissy Fists" quickly caught and held my attention.

SHE MAKES WAR
A name that I've seen a lot of but heard nothing from until now. Listening to their latest album Brace For Impact it's clear to anyone that they're a very solid band. I can't fault their music - the production is nigh on perfect, their vocals are strong and their riffs unique - but something about them hasn't quite captured me just yet. I'll be keeping a close eye on them.

STILLHOUND
I'd not heard anything about Stillhound before but listening to their music for the first time made my heart swell because it reminded me of Kins whom I haven't heard anything from in ages. I'd actually forgotten how much I missed their music. I suspect that I'll be seeing them on quite a number of UK Festival line-ups next summer - it's been quite a while since I've heard a sound like theirs.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment