NUMBER FOURTEEN

The first time I saw this band live at Reading Festival still goes down in my books as one of the best live performances I've ever seen. The raw energy that they put into their shows, at the time, went unmatched by a large proportion of other UK bands. Punching in at number 14 is Marmozets with Knowing What You Know Now.

After their debut album made its way to my number one spot in 2014, you can imagine how excited I was for this follow up album. Lead singer Becca has previously described this as her 'fighting album', giving her strength when things in life aren't going so well. Anthemic hits like "Run With The Rhythm", ooze encouragement and a feeling of determination, but it's the subtle notes of 'pushing forward' and 'being brave' coming through amidst the more angsty lyrics, that carry the most weight.

My favourite tracks on the album for me are "Play", "Meant To Be", "Major System Error", "Lost In Translation", and "Start Again". I first listened to this album whilst I was making my way around Melbourne in January and it stuck out like a sore thumb in my music library at the time. Since then it's continued to stand out but for all of the right reasons. Becca's ability to bring riot grrrl vocals in over Math Rock beats, and control her voice with a level of emotion that's almost performative is excellent.

As well as being an album with pure fight and grit in it, Knowing What You Know Now clearly shows the growth and development that Marmozets have gone through since their debut, not only as a band but also as individuals. This is some of the most mature and calculated material they've put out to date and I cannot wait to hear what's around the corner.

Have a look at the album that made its way to my number 14 spot last year here.


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment