NUMBER SEVEN

Primavera Sound was the best festival that I went to this year and this next collective's performance was one of the most memorable of the weekend. In at lucky number 7 is The Internet with Hive Mind.

Seeing the way that The Internet has grown since Purple Naked Ladies is incredible. I actually still remember the first time I listened to that album and how disappointed I was that I only liked a few songs. Ego Death is still my favourite album that they've put out to date and this transformation was a huge part of that opinion shift. However, I can still hear their growth in their latest releases. After each of their solo projects I can hear how that time away has brought them back together with a stronger and more directed musical mind or 'hive mind'. The lack of features on this album is noticeable and clearly intentional. They've honed in their sound without a need for others to contribute their own influence and I feel like this is the most honest view of The Internet that we've seen to date. 

My favourites on the album right now are "Roll (Burbank Funk)", "La Di Da", "It Gets Better (With Time)", "Look What U Started", and "Beat Goes On". I'm definitely a fan of the more bass heavy tracks on the record. Patrick Paige II is such a solid bassist and his licks have added so much to the band's sound in these last two albums. His solo release this year Letters Of Irrelevance only made his touches and influences clearer on The Internet's material.

If I'm honest, I had hoped that this album would top Ego Death for me but that was a huge ask. Musically, they've improved and their live performance has improved tenfold. However, something in this album just didn't quite click as much with me as Ego Death. That said, this is a beautiful album. Now I get to look forward to them blessing us with their solo album releases in 2019. Easily one of my favourite collectives in the game at the moment. 

Have a look at what album scooped the number seven spot in 2017 here.


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment